Tuesday, May 20, 2008

WHISKEY DOES IT EVERYTIME.......






I would like to introduce you to Faye! Well, I mean Faye's flowers. She was camera shy today. Enjoy the pictures of her glorious roses, they are absolutely beautiful
Faye is what I like to call my "back door" neighbor. If you don't know what a back door neighbor is, then....you don't have one, and I am sorry if you are missing out on that, it's the best thing you can have.

I met Faye the very first time I came to survey the lot where I was going to live. One of the reasons I chose this spot, was because #1, the trees; and #2, because her house was so appealing, lush with florals and green. I knew I had hit the jackpot, I was going to live next door to someone who cared about where they live and how they live. That's why I call it "hitting the jackpot"!

I have told everyone, that she is the guru of plants and all things that live. I received a beautiful plant from Mark and his family for Mother's Day. I asked them if they knew what it was, where I should put it, shade or sun. No one knew, I said, don't worry, Faye will know. And she did! I have that beautiful little plant in new dirt, new pot and in just the right spot, only thing I need to do is to remember to give it a drink now and then. Faye will attest I am not good about that. Shame on me.

Faye has one of the most beautiful yards you will ever see. It has roses, and roses, and still more roses; not to mention the million zillion other flowers that grow. It is an oasis of color and beauty. She has said these are her kids, and she feeds and waters them faithfully, AND as you might expect they flourish. She is a believer of using household concoctions to achieve the beauty she has. Her roses are fed a mixture of honey, baby shampoo, fish something, epsom salts and WHISKEY. Yes I said whiskey. I may not have all the ingredients right, but you get my point. She has been known to use beer too. She said if you feed them this mixture every two weeks or so, you will have new roses every two weeks. She is one of the protectors of the environment, her weed killer and everything else you would use on a yard, comes from a book she uses. AND it works. She has a shed in her yard that is her lab, with everything you can imagine to achieve her goal.

Last week I put a nail in one of my trees to hang a yard ornament. I asked her if she thought it would hurt the tree, her answer....."well, I guess it would be like hammering a nail into one of my arms".....gives you a whole new perspective on the tree. I was so bothered by her remarks, that I felt I needed to get some anitibiotic and a bandaid for that tree.

I have this empty spot in my yard, it's an eye sore actually. We talked about what I could do to make it more appealing. She said, she had an extra yellow rose that I could put there with some mulch. That's the way she is. So giving. This evening when it cools off, she is going to help me plant that rose, and I am so excited. The yellow rose is my favorite of all roses, and to think she is going to trust me with that plant makes me shudder. I am going to have to go into overdrive to protect that plant. And, I am going to do everything I can to live up to "her" expectation.

I have learned a lot about the growing of flowers from her. Her suggestions always seem to work out for me, I just need to listen more and take notes!

Faye has a very deep abiding faith, it is one of the things I admire the most about her. She believes if you walk in the Word of the Lord, he will provide, and he has proven that over and over to her. I love pure unabated trust and faith. Faye has been a blessing in my life, and if she ever decided to move I would chain her to the fence, that is, unless she took me with her. I love you Faye, thanks for all the lessons, both in life and with flowers. You are a treasure as a "back door" neighbor.

No comments: