Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sher Girl



You are wondering why anyone would be called "Sher-Girl", that's an odd nickname. It's a name her Mom gave her, and it seems to fit. Her Mom, my mother in law, had a name for her son, my husband. Gar-bo, short for Gary boy. So we had Gar-bo and Sher-girl. What's even funnier is we called our son Tim...Tim-bo, well at least that's what his Dad called him. Just thought an explanation of the title was needed, sort of got off the path.

I met Sher-girl when I met Gar-bo, well at least when I met the family. Yes, Michelle, I am the older one. Less than a year however. Sher-girl and I became the best of friends. She was the one who promoted me to the family, so they would let me in to their circle. We had a lot of fun in those days. We went to the drive-in all the time, even in the winter. There were lots of drive-ins to go to in the "olden"days. They had these window heaters. They ran on propane, and it's a wonder we didn't die in the car. It would be so cold outside, that the windows would ice up inside. Yes, we scraped the windows on the inside so we could see our "favorite" movie: Irma LaDouce. I don't know how many times we saw that movie, maybe Sher-girl knows. We liked that movie so much we each have it. At that time I was a hairdresser, and so we had lots of fun changing hairstyles and of course color. You never knew for sure what we were gona look like after a day of primping. Sher-girl and I have been friends for over 45 years. That's a long long long time.

When Sher-girl got married she moved to Washington. I don't remember how long she was there, but I missed her. When she came home, I was happy she did.

A lot of water has gone under the bridge these past 45 years. But what remains true is our friendship. We still have fun together, but not the drive-in thing. I think we're too old, couldn't possibly stay awake long enough to see two movies, let alone the three they show at the only drive in movie left. We have talked about it, just no action taken. I think one thing I enjoy the most is the shopping. Have you ever shopped with Sher-girl. Well let me tell you it is an experience. She will pick up something she likes, and the whole time you are walking around, she is pondering the purchase. Nine chances out of ten, she will decide against it. Just when you think it's a done deal, the game changes. I LOVE IT!! Nothing with her is written in stone when it comes to shopping.

We decided to take up beading. We enrolled in the classes and away we went. We had a lot of fun trying, and we talk about getting together to create, but haven't done that. Somebody is always spilling the beads, and you know who you are. Ever tried cleaning up seed beads from a bare floor? Not fun, and you clean them up for weeks and weeks. Some of our masterpieces hang around the necks of our family members, or on their wrists. I think they wear them so they won't hurt our feelings. Those family members are great sports and we love you for it.

Sher-girl is my sister in law, but will always be a best friend first. We shared dark times during our friendship, we have shared happier ones too. We became parents, grandparents and now Sher-girl is about to become a "great granny". Does that make her older than me..........NOW!! What do you think. Actually, I am in no hurry to be a "great granny", I think I have lots and lots of time for that event. Anyway, we are all looking forward to the new baby. It's been a long time since there was a wee one to grab onto.

So, here's to Sher-girl, a friend through thick and thin. I am toasting you with a can of Diet Cherry Cola, but I would much rather it be some expensive champagne! Love you!!

3 comments:

Grannymouse said...

Now you've gone and done it. All those memories and heart felt love, have left me crying like a baby. But they're happy tears. Greatful tears too. Thank you for always being my BEST friend. I Love You too!!! Sher-girl

Danelle said...

I wear the jewelry you made me not just to be nice but because I love it! You do great bead work...feel free to make me jewelry anytime!

I remember meeting Aunt Sherry for the first time at your house in Newton. She made me feel so comfortable and I appreciated that so much because I was in a house full of Tim's relatives that I did not know! Nerve racking!!

Michelle's Musings said...

Now it seems that Danelle is the suck up!