Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My Aunt Celinda


I have thought a lot about my Aunt Celinda these past few days. I have spent the time remembering her smile, her words of wisdom, her compassion, and the unconditional love she has for everyone that has crossed her path. I cannot say I ever saw her angry about anything.

Celinda Josephine Ashlock~Kelsey is the second of five children born to J. Harley and Sarah Elizabeth Ashlock, my paternal grandparents. She was born in Oklahoma and remained there until 1962. She married Roscoe Kelsey. They were married for more than 60 years and blessed with two children; Bill Dean and Linda Diane. She lost her only son Bill Dean, the middle of his senior year of high school. He had an aneurism at the base of his brain. My aunt suffered tremendously at the loss of her son, but she remained steadfast in her faith. Her faith was a very important part of her life, and she lived exactly the way you would have expected a woman of faith to live.

A funny story about the day Diane was born; Diane was born by C-section, so Aunt Celinda was not awake when the doctor and Uncle Roscoe named her. THEY thought she should have another name, other than just Diane. So, Linda became her first name. Needless to say when Aunt Celinda woke up, she was not happy with what had happened. To those who know and love her, she will always be just Diane to us. Diane met and married a wonderful guy. His name is John Dennis, but we call him Dennie. He was welcomed into the Kelsey clan with open arms. Dennie has a very gentle spirit, and for Aunt Celinda it was love at first sight. He was never her son in law; he will always will be her SON! Diane and Dennie were blessed with Aunt Celinda’s only grandson, Michael Dean. I remember when Aunt Celinda spoke of Michael; it was with so much love and pride. He brings her so much joy. She and I talked after Michael and Jennifer were married. She was so pleased with her new “grand-daughter”, and accepted her into the fold; she was a full fledged member of the family. Michael and Jennifer have a beautiful little girl named Megan. Now I don’t need to tell you about the celebration that happened the day that little angel was born, actually, I think they are still celebrating that event. Megan is the apple of her great-grandma’s eye.

My Aunt Celinda lived the majority of her life in Oklahoma. My uncle worked for the Santa Fe Railroad in what they called the Roundhouse. The Roundhouse was in Waynoka Oklahoma. In case you don’t know what a roundhouse is, it is a round building that the train engines were driven into. They worked or repaired what ever was needed, the tracks turned and the engine drove out. Interesting concept. When the Santa Fe closed its offices in Waynoka in 1962, they moved to Albuquerque, NM. He remained at his job until he retired. Aunt Celinda worked in the school cafeteria, and was promoted to manager before she retired. In this part of the country we lovingly call those wonderful ladies “lunch ladies”. (For you Michelle). Aunt Celinda lived in New Mexico until the passing of my uncle. After his passing Diane moved her Mom to the Houston area where she could be closer to her.

There was absolutely nothing that Aunt Celinda didn’t have some knowledge about. She studied politics so she could always make an informed decision when she voted. She knew more about the state of New Mexico than most of the natives. She could read a book in a day, and had quite a collection. These were books that taught you something, not just some sappy storyline. I loved to sit and visit with her, and you could visit with her about anything, she was so well studied. I have often thought how much my son Mark would have loved to sit with her. He reminds me of her, can talk about most anything you want to talk about. I loved to sit in her kitchen and watch her cook. She had a meticulous method to what she did, and she did it very well. Oh my, what a wonderful cook she was. Interestingly enough she could continue to talk and complete what she was doing. The last time I got to spend time with her in a kitchen was several years ago. I went to Texas to visit her and Diane, and she and I prepared the evening meal for Denny and Diane. We laughed and talked as we peeled potatoes. It was a very special time for me and a wonderful memory. She had a beautiful yard, full of glorious flowers. In New Mexico, the backyards are surrounded by stone or brick fences about 6 ft tall, so the yard is completely enclosed. When they left Oklahoma, they brought two box turtles with them. Aunt Celinda said it was their little piece of Oklahoma. They turned the two turtles loose in the yard. The turtles would come up to the door of the screened in porch waiting for a tidbit from her. She would put out scrapes of veggies for them, and they seemed to know when it was time. She told me that some baby turtles appeared, so they must have brought a “pair”. Those turtles were still alive the last time I was in New Mexico, and you never know they may still be roaming that yard.

Going to Aunt Celinda’s was always an adventure, and you had the assurance of having a wonderful time no matter what you did. I, so enjoyed sitting on her screened in back porch. The weather seemed to always be cooperative. In the shade it was cool, so eating a meal out there was a treat. She always had a hummingbird feeder somewhere. I remember the first time I saw one feeding. I was totally amazed. I loved her stories about growing up in Oklahoma with her three brothers and one sister. I bet they were a handful for my grandma. Aunt Celinda loved them all and they loved her back. My Dad always spoke of her with great affection.

I love my Aunt Celinda. She is like a second mother to me. She was the best listener. It didn’t make any difference what you needed her to listen to, large or small she gave you her undivided attention. Oh, she may not have agreed with you, but she listened and respected what you had to say. She would share her opinion with you, but she made sure you understood, it was just “her” opinion. She had a gentle calming way about her; you just knew everything would be okay, because she said so. My Aunt Celinda was truly touched by God, for her position in life. She was the person I could count on in my growing up years; I always knew she loved me unconditionally. That was her gift to me, I will always be grateful for it, and I will always cherish it.

My Aunt Celinda is not the same anymore. She has been ravaged by the disease that will soon claim her life. I was fortunate to visit her last summer. She recognized me for a moment, and she knew I had boys. That was my blessing on that visit. I sit here wondering when that call will come, I know that she is in God’s hands, and her time will come at God’s bidding. I pray for a peaceful passage to her reward, and relief from the pain she is suffering.

In my lifetime, thus far, I have never known a gentler loving person. Thank you My Aunt Celinda, for letting me know that there are Angels Among Us!!

1 comment:

mom2travistres said...

Let me just say, that this was beautiful. I remember the time like it was yesterday that daddy took us out to see Aunt Celinda and Uncle Roscoe and she took us everywhere. She knew all of the beautiful sites, all the facts...It was amazing!