Tuesday, June 16, 2009

TO WHOM THIS MAY CONCERN: (Re-post of 4/9/09)

To whom this may concern:

One week ago, I met the most amazing person during my volunteer hours at one of our local hospitals. I will for go naming names, that's not the important part of this message. My new friend was wearing a very unusual jacket. When I finished with the protocol of my job, I asked if I could speak with him. I wanted to know what the symbolism of the jacket represented. I think I already knew the answer, but wanted to know for sure. This gentleman was a member of the Kansas Atomic Veterans Association, well I guess I should say the Commander of the Kansas organization. He is a retired Naval Chief Petty Officer. He has served his country with pride and honor. My friend is suffering from many debilitating issues. Those illnesses are a direct result of his service during the nuclear testing in the South Pacific in 1962. He along with others have worked tireless hours to bring honor and respect for the atomic veterans who have and are suffering from their exposure to radiation. Many of the American servicemen who participated in those tests have already passed to their greater reward, many because of their exposure to the radiation. You ask why is she writing this, I will explain:

I lost my beloved husband to pancreatic cancer 10 years ago. After his passing, many questions were on my mind. I expressed them to my sons, but there was not an answer for us. I guess the question was, why would a 56 year old healthy active man be stricken with this deadly disease. He was in the prime of his life, successful in his career, a loving father, husband, son, brother, uncle, friend and last but not least a grandfather who lived every moment for the four beautiful grandchildren that graced our lives. He did everything right, took care of the vessel that God had provided for him, why would this happen.

One week ago, I found the answers I have searched for. My husband was aboard a Navy ship in the South Pacific during those tests. He was exposed to radiation. Now you might ask why would I think this affected his situation, 30 years later. Radiation poison stays within the body, no matter how slight or little exposure they have had. It attacks the organs of the body, deteriorating the body's ability to function as God intended. One fact that has been brought to light is, it can affect the children of these veterans. That fact shakes me to the core.

My new friend has fought tirelessly the bureaucratic system to try and bring honor to those who served during those years of testing. All he is asking for is a medal to honor them and their sacrifices. It is my understanding that the medal would only cost $8.00 to make. Like so many things our elected official do, they let it die. They would rather spend trillions of dollars in bail out funds to companies that were driven by greed and graft, or legalize illegal aliens with American citizenship, do everything but what they should do. Oh, the government has offered compensation, finally; to those service men in need of medical assistance, and money to the veteran or his widow or children. But, as usual, the road to this compensation is paved with red tape. Many of these people who have applied for the help, have either been turned down or they didn't live to see it come to a conclusion. It is my opinion that the government only made this pitiful gesture, so no one would bring a law suit, because with a law suit many would follow. I guess they figured out, if they made some kind of gesture it would bring "some" satisfaction. So they pick and choose who receives those benefits. 225,000 men and women participated in those tests, many are gone now. Oh yeah, this operation was a secret. They purged their records of the time in the area. Do you have any idea how hard it is to verify a person was there? It has only been since 1996, that they were released from their pledge of secrecy. Did you know that our allies who participated with our service men, have honored those veterans that served their respective countries. The United States of America is the only country that has not! What a disgrace. I am asking you to stand up for what is right. I am asking you to write to your congressmen/women, senators and the President and ask them to do the right thing. All it's going to cost you is a stamp and some time. My husband was a casualty, not in the sense of him taking a bullet from a gun, but rather one from an atomic weapon. He was a very young man during those tests, a young man that was unaware and taken advantage of, and I think "we" owe him and ALL that served in that area a big debt. Those tests were a necessary mission of fact finding. The United States of America should honor them as heroes once and for all!! Please join me in this fight, we need you to help us do the right thing. DON'T LET ANOTHER ATOMIC VETERAN DIE IN VAIN. My sons had to give up their Dad at a time in their lives when he was needed, my grandchildren have no memories of their Papa. He didn't get to stand on the sidelines and watch them doing their favorite things, no chance for him to cheer them on, or tell them stories. My family was cheated of time. Life is not fair, no one said it would be, This honor is something "we" as Americans owe. STEP UP PEOPLE, STOP LIVING YOUR SOAP OPERA LIVES, MAKE TODAY COUNT FOR SOMETHING.

FYI: http://www.atomicveterans.org/

4 comments:

Muffy said...

Aunt Nancy I had no idea any of this was going on. I can't even begin to imagine the feelings and tears shed of our American Men and Women fighting for what is RIGHT! Thank you for sharing this story.

Gram~cr'kr said...

Not many do, that's why it's going on. They are the forgotten Veterans. They participated in the tests because it was their job.
They monitored the tests, I guess to see just what would happen. I thank you for your kind comments.

Momma H said...

Wow! I can feel your passion for this subject from over here! Thanks for sharing. You may single handedly inform southcentral KS of the facts about the people exposed to that stuff - and their loved ones - And the consequences of what the military/government has done. Keep it up. People need to hear this!

Gram~cr'kr said...

That is my goal!! Now everyone write to Congressman Tiahrt, Senator Roberts and the President and anyone else you can think of.
SPREAD THE WORD, make a difference.
You never know, someone in your family maybe a casualty just by being born!!