
Gary was smart, but he didn't claim that until he was older. He excelled at everything he attempted, he was the Outstanding Electrical Apprentice for Kansas and for the city of Wichita in 1969. He would tell you now, that he goofed off in high school, and threw away his first year of college. He found himself the four years he spent in the Navy, and believed that it was the best thing he ever did for himself.
Laundry, well I must say he did a good job at that. I can tell you he could use an iron better than most women. I think that came from his years in the Navy.
Cook, YEP, he could do that too. I remember our oldest granddaughter telling me that her "Papa" cooked the best chicken ever! His claim to fame was the grill. He would put chicken, steak, hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill and nothing ever touched, or so he told Michelle. LOL
When he retired because of his illness, he would cook dinner, and when I got home from work it was always waiting for me. A side note, he cooked the same thing several days in a row. Not sure what that was about, but I was grateful in any case.
Yard: the yard was his pride and joy. He planted beautiful roses, and flowers. He was always making changes. Our home was on an acre, and I remember him verti cutting it ALL, and replanting. Water water water, and it was beautiful. He planted a tree in the front so it could be seen from the living room window. It was a Bradford pear tree. I never got to see that tree bloom, hopefully it is flourishing and blooming these days. We had a bargain; he took care of the outside, and I took care of the inside. It worked well, because I didn't and don't like creepy crawly things.
List maker: there were pieces of paper everywhere. He would make lists of things he wanted to do, or needed doing. Most of the time he put them on the fridge. As he completed each task he would come in mark it off, and move on to the next. I never had to make a honey do list, he did!
DAD: He was an awesome Dad. I remember how he marveled at the birth of each of our sons. He just could not wrap his mind around the fact they were "just little human beings", perfect in every way. I attached pictures of our sons. They both have so many parts and pieces of their Dad. Their eyes, their smiles, it's like looking into a mirror. he loved the game of golf. When our boys graduated high school and went on to college, he took the game up again. The day he passed, the boys and I laughed because it was a glorious December day, and we just figured Gary had gotten a golf game together in heaven. Gary loved Christmas. He was all about surprises for our boys. I remember clearly one year when he had the flu. He was so sick. Mark had wanted more than anything a "green machine". Naturally it had to be put together. Even as sick as he was he put that thing together. His famous words were "if you don't believe, you don't get". I know those kids believed him, it was his way....maybe it was in the eyes when he said it.
When the boys found their soul mates, he was so taken with them. They were NEVER his daughter-in-laws, they were HIS girls, and told the boys, if you should ever decide to get a divorce, the girls could come for Christmas not them. Of course it was his way of saying how much he loved them. All knew that.
Look at this, it goes on and on. Not sure if this is what being tagged meant, but it is what it is.
So, Sherry and Mark your IT!!!

2 comments:
I will go to my grave believing that my Gary never ever let a hot dog touch anything he put on my plate!
You are so happy with your life and esp your children and grandchildren. I have a similiar life also. My favorites are gardening, cooking from scratch, spoiling grandkids, movies and esp. going to church to praise my God. I'm having a tad of problems with being the same age as you. It hit me out of the blue that I became this old over night. God Bless you and your family. Joy Lyn
Post a Comment